Monday 6 November 2017

Beneath a Blanket of Snow

Hello All,

Winter marks the end of the cycle of seasons. It reminds us of the year that is coming to an end. What has passed is now buried in the snow and when spring comes, it will be no more.

The year carries with it its highlights and heartaches. All that falls in between is usually forgotten.

As you reflect on the year that is coming to an end, what would you consider your highlights and heartaches? What were your happiest and most painful moments?

Winter, though gloomy, is beautiful. It possesses the beauty of hope. The hope of spring, a new beginning. But there is beauty not only in its future hope but in its frozen rivers and bare trees. In our scarcity, we find the plenteous mercy of God.


By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling

The land lies beneath a blanket of snow
The river is frozen and does not flow
The leaves have fallen and the trees are bare
Winter is dressed like a maiden so fair

The land lies beneath a blanket of snow
Its beauty and fairness blossom and grow
And yet there's sadness and grief in the air
Sadness is dressed like a maiden so fair

The past lies beneath a blanket of snow
It's frozen but still there, and does not flow
The past is now gone, but memories are there
The past is dressed like a maiden so fair

My heart lies beneath a blanket of snow
My tears are frozen and do not flow
My grief is silenced and my mind is bare
Sorrow is dressed like a maiden so fair

My heart lies beneath a blanket of snow
My soul is frozen but Jesus knows
He knows my sorrows and His hand is there
His hand guides me when my feelings are bare

My hope lies within a manger so low
A manger too humble for Christ, I know
Born of a virgin in a place so bare
But great was His mission - our sins to bear

My hope lies beneath the great Tree that glows
On that Tree, my Saviour's blood streams and flows
My sins have fallen for my sins He bears
The Tree is dressed like a maiden so fair

My life lies beneath the great Throne that glows
From that Throne, the River of life flows
Jesus sits enthroned and white robes He wears
Joy is mine for in His Kingdom I share


Points for Reflection:
For to us, a child is born, to us, a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace, there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.
(Isaiah 9:6-7 ESV)
·       Despite our past and present circumstances, our eternal hope lies within a manger and beneath the Tree. Our hope lies in the birth and death of Jesus Christ.
·       Jesus became one of us through a miraculous virgin birth and He saved us from God’s wrath through His death on the Tree. Through His death and resurrection, sinners like us are made righteous and are ushered into God’s Kingdom.
·       Jesus now sits enthroned in the heavens and we will see Him face to face in our future and eternal home.
·       Because of this hope, we can be comforted and strengthened in the gloomy winters of our lives.
·       There’s beauty in winter and all that lies beneath a blanket of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment